Sunday, July 19, 2009

My Work of Late

Dear Readers,

I thought it might interest you to have an idea of the two projects I have going right now. They are exciting, and you are bound to see some fragments of them appear here over the next couple of weeks.
The first relates to a civilization you will not be familiar with: the neo-Aegeans. Our knowledge of their culture is very limited, but it seems they are a future offshoot of your timeline. Their culture will be rich and vibrant, as will their technology. Still, their understanding of that technology will be quite a bit more limited than the brief oasis of enlightened thought that you and your contemporaries enjoy. From their time, the augurs collected a wide variety of stories and myths meant as entertainment. The first of these, in translation, should appear here soon. Professor Petrarch, who is an expert on Dark Ages, is collaborating with me on this project.
My second major research area relates to a timeline that soon diverges from yours, and so to provide too many details would be untoward. Suffice it to say that it is a diary from a 21st century New York City in severe disarray. The diary follows an investment banker as he struggles to survive in a world that changes every moment. I may show you snippets of it from time to time, but I must be careful not to divulge too much. This project is more limited, and so it is a solo effort.
I hope this brings you a deeper understanding of the complexities of our work. It is an exciting thing, to look from my point of view and see what has been, could have been, and yet might be. I endeavor to impart this feeling onto you.

Always,

Dr. John Skylar
Chairman
Department of Anachronism
University of Constantinople

No comments:

Post a Comment