Thursday, July 30, 2009

More of "The Neuromorphosis"

Dear Readers,

As promised, I have decided to offer more stories from my work in life and from my translation works. Here is more of "The Neuromorphosis", which I adapted from Franz Kafka's "The Metamorphosis."

Always,

Dr. John Skylar
Chairman
Department of Anachronism
University of Constantinople

Horus turned to look out the window at the dull weather. He heard drops of rain strike the pane, which made him feel quite sad.
"How about if I sleep a little bit longer and forget all this nonsense," he thought, but he could not fall back asleep, as he was used to roosting upright, but for some reason he no longer found this comfortable. He tried it a hundred times, and shut his eyes so that he wouldn't have to look at his awkward, bent, fleshy legs. He only stopped when he lost his balance and fell out of bed.
"Oh, God", he thought, "What will this do to my social standing? I can no longer fly as I used to!” He felt a slight itch up on his belly and pushed himself slowly up on his back towards the headboard so that he could lift his head better. He found where the itch was, and saw that it was covered with lots of little brown hairs which puzzled him. When he tried to feel the place with one of his legs he drew it quickly back because as soon as he touched it a cold shudder overcame him.


No comments:

Post a Comment