Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sudden Happenings

Dear Readers,

  I write this from a mossy access tunnel underneath the department's normal facilities.  It is damp, dripping, and I do not like to be here.

  Something happened at the University over the past, let's call it days.  For you it seemed like that, at least.

  I was injured in the initial fighting.  I can't quite say what they are yet, partly from reluctance, partly from my own lack of answers.  I need to know more.  For now, all I can say is that they are something akin to demons.  Or perhaps angels.  They are creatures, and they do not mean well towards me.

  It is a shame that you must find out like this, instead of in the seminar that I planned for your last Friday, but it remains that the practice of Augury combined with our unique location attracts some attention.  Very rarely this can lead to an invasion.

  President (Emperor) Constantine XI advised us to leave our offices within minutes of the attack.  I lost my connection, but Sphrantzes and Bacon managed to get it back up so that I could make intermittent posts.  It seems that the Augury Department has some kind of backup, or else this would not see the light of day.

  I do not wish to worry you.  I am injured, and in a way that I am not sure I would recover from if I were to die, namely because the instruments of my resurrection may be in enemy hands.  The University will repel the attackers to the best of its ability, but failure is sadly an option.  With my trusted faculty around me, I am safe for now.  I can make no promises about the future.

  Always,

  Dr. John Skylar
  General nee Chairman
  Department of Anachronism
  University of Constantinople

No comments:

Post a Comment