Thursday, September 17, 2009

Primary Source: A Letter to the Chief Regulator

Dear Readers,

  Yesterday's primary source, part of a  a police report, was in reference to the
Oil on canvas.Image via Wikipedia
narrative I wrote for Tuesday's Day in the Life story.  Today I provide a primary source that explains further what actually happened in that story.  This is written by the person who committed the crime in question, to explain to his superiors what happened.  Since this individual has some information that the police of that time stream did not, it is far more enlightening.

   Always,

   Dr. John Skylar
   Chairman
   Department of Anachronism
   University of Constantinople

To: the Chief Regulator, and any relevant members of the Regulatory Board
May 25th, 2006

  This is an official incident report in light of the events of May 17th of this year, to explain my actions.  As you know, I am an upstanding member of our community and in all of my actions I have strived to adhere to our operating agreement.  Please keep this in mind as you read my account.  In this case, circumstances forced me into some rash moves that might otherwise have required regulatory approval.  I hope that my explanation here will justify retroactive regulatory approval.

  On the evening of May 17th I arrived at Canter's Delicatessen in the interests of a continuing harvest operation.  The purpose of my visit was a date with one of my flock, which I expected might provide an easy harvest opportunity.  My last such opportunity presented itself at the end of April 2006, so you can understand that this was a meeting of great necessity for me.  The particular flock member was named Lisa Gruenberg-Lopez, a waitress at Canter's.  I met her at my nightclub in early May, and she seemed quite taken with me.  I obtained board approval to add her to my flock on May 8th, 2006.

  When I entered Canter's, I immediately noticed a problem.  Within the restaurant I saw a known agent provocateur for the human authorities, known to us as "Will."  I suspect that this was a chance meeting, as I immediately sensed increased agitation and blood flow from Will.  He was surprised, no doubt.

  However, owing to my extreme need to harvest, I proceeded with the meeting.  I assumed that Will, like the rest of the human authorities, still accepted our cover story that we are some sort of extra-terrestrials, and would not immediately know my purpose.  I did not account for a possible affectionate attachment between him and my flock member.

  I attempted to make the date appear as normal as possible, and then after an appropriate amount of time, I left with my flock member and took her to a nearby board-approved harvest area.  With ample time to render her docile while at Canter's, harvest operations began soon after our arrival.  Unfortunately, we were interrupted.  Will followed us from the delicatessen and unfortunately saw me in mid-harvest.

  Understandably, the poor chap decided that this would be a good time to fire his sidearm at me.  Fortunately he missed any vital areas and was not using the correct ammunition, and so I was able to disarm him.  Unfortunately, he had seen too much and I saw no alternative but to harvest him.  I know this is exceedingly unusual given that he was not a member of my flock, was a known agent of our enemies, and there was no prior board approval for action against him.  At the time, I felt that in order to preserve our modicum of security, I had to neutralize the threat.  I hope that you agree, given the circumstances.

  Following my completed harvest, I used the remaining bullet in Will's gun to make it appear he had committed suicide after he shot at, and then strangled, Ms. Gruenberg-Lopez.  I have attached the police report, which indicates that the authorities accepted the cover story that I left in evidence.  Overall, I believe that under the circumstances I prevented a major security breach that might have endangered our US operations.  I beseech you to be lenient in whatever penalties you might give for my rash actions in light of their benefits.

  Yours in service,

   "Gijsbert"

No comments:

Post a Comment